Data centers are the facility in a building that stores computer and related components to store, organize, process and exchange large amounts of data. Data centers are the heart of many of the organizations. For small organizations, servers are stored in a dedicated facility and are termed as server rooms.
Any data center/ server room may have the following systems-
- Communication system
- Electrical system to power network equipment
- HVAC and cooling system
The efficiency of a data center in terms of energy is described by Power Utilization Effectiveness (PUE). Power Utilization Effectiveness (PUE) is defined as the ratio of total facility power to IT equipment power.
- Data centers are a crucial part of any IT/non-IT organization. They work round the clock 365 days a year.
- Vital information and work outputs are stored in the data center. Large data stored in the data center costs huge financial value.
- Many of the regional centers across the globe access the same data center.
- Data centers consume a considerable amount of energy for their performance and operation.
- Data center audit ensure the conformity of the system which will add the organizational value.
What we can do?
- Specially designed data center energy audit practices to reduce energy usage and to evaluate the impact of energy usage on data center performance.
- System-wise study viz. electrical, HVAC and communication to examine the abnormalities.
- Power quality study to find out voltage and current unbalance, harmonics, transients, and flicker.
- Heating and cooling system study to determine the current tonnage rating and performance comparison with the actual rating. Calculation of Supply Heat Index (SHI), Return Temperature Index (RTI).
- Thermography of the entire electrical system including panel boards, UPS, battery and server racks to identify hotspots that will cause a threat to safety and reliability.
- Electrical safety audit to determine the installation compliance with regulations switchgear and protective equipment coordination.
- Fault identification and specific system troubleshooting solve a specified problem.
- Earthing system study by measuring earth resistance, earthing system continuity and the potential difference between earth terminal and neutral-phase voltages.
- IGBC certification for data centers.