Compressed Air System Audit

Compressed air is a critical utility in many industries, as it is utilized for anything from pneumatic equipment to powering manufacturing operations. However, its production and use may be energy-intensive, and improper practices can result in significant waste. Only 10% to 30% of the energy used to power a compressor reaches the point of end-use. The remaining 70% to 90% of energy is lost, primarily as heat energy and, to a lesser extent, due to friction, misuse, and noise.

Compressor audits give organizations crucial information about energy usage, system effectiveness, equipment size, and air quality, enabling them to make wise decisions. Compressor audits help businesses achieve sustainability goals by finding energy waste, air leakage, and inefficiencies that result in considerable cost savings and reduced environmental impact. Additionally, they increase equipment dependability, reduce downtime, and guarantee regulatory compliance. Additionally, compressor audits encourage employee awareness and education, encouraging the appropriate and effective usage of compressed air. In the end, these audits give businesses the tools they need to optimize their compressed air systems, boosting productivity and competitiveness while reducing their carbon impact.

Our Approach and Scope

Our process entails a comprehensive assessment of compressor operations, encompassing a detailed evaluation of load conditions, operating pressures, and sizing criteria. Additionally, we investigate opportunities for waste heat recovery and pinpoint any existing leaks. Using ultrasonic leak detector, we conduct a rigorous air leak audit, labelling all leaks exceeding 2 liters per minute (LPM). Any critical leaks, those exceeding 24 LPM, are marked with a red tag, and immediate communication is made with on-site personnel to address and prioritize their resolution.


  •          Comprehensive measurement and observation findings related to compressor systems.
  •          Identification and tagging of leaks exceeding 2 liters per minute, with critical leaks marked using red tags.
  •          Detailed energy consumption data for compressor systems during operation. 
  •          A comprehensive list outlining critical system points and identified gaps. 
  •          A set of recommendations and suggestions aimed at enhancing the operational efficiency of the compressor.
  •          Recommendations for system improvements to maintain competitiveness in line with industry benchmarks.

How to reduce energy consumption in compressor 

  • Reduce Unload Running Hours- Minimize the time when the compressor runs without producing compressed air to avoid energy waste.
  • Air Leak Minimization-Regularly inspect and repair air leaks in the system to prevent the loss of compressed air and energy.
  • Reduction of Pressure-Operate the compressor at the lowest pressure required for your applications to reduce energy consumption.
  • Correct Sizing and Type of Compressor- Ensure that the compressor’s capacity matches the actual air demand, and choose the appropriate compressor type for your specific needs.
  • Variable Speed Drive (VSD)-Use compressors equipped with VSD technology to adjust the compressor output to match varying demand, thereby saving energy during periods of lower demand.
  • Maintenance-Implement a proactive maintenance program to keep the compressor and associated equipment in optimal condition.
  • Waste Heat Recovery-Capture and reuse the heat generated during compression for other purposes, such as space heating or water heating, to improve overall system efficiency.

For Efficient Operation of Compressors

  •     Compressor Location: The location of the compressor significantly affects its efficiency, with     higher inlet air temperatures leading to increased energy consumption—a 4°C rise results in a 1% energy increase for equivalent output.
  • Dust-Free Intake: Keep the intake path clean to avoid clogged filters and subsequent pressure drops, which can raise energy consumption.
  • Dry Air Intake: Avoid placing compressors near sources of moist air, like cooling towers or dryer exhausts, as moisture can harm compressor efficiency.
  • Proper Cooling: Maintain the cooling system to prevent even slight temperature increases in inlet air, which can impact energy efficiency.
  • Pressure Reduction: Lowering the delivery pressure by 1 bar can reduce power consumption by 6% to 10%.
  • Avoid Misuse: Discourage non-essential uses of compressed air, like cleaning or cooling, to prevent energy waste.
  • Prevent Air Leaks: Regularly inspect the system for leaks and take measures to prevent energy loss.
  • Efficient Operation and Maintenance: Prioritize efficient practices and maintenance to reduce energy consumption, minimize losses, and optimize system performance, resulting in cost savings and reduced environmental impact.